Winter retreat


I love a good fire in winter at least once to sit around, get warm, toast marshmallows & drink hot choc & just 'cause we live in the inner city doesn't mean we can't do it. We use our old copper & fill it up with Matt's off cuts from the shed, stuff from round the garden, the boys call Granny from down the road & woosh!

I also took the time to get covered in ash & pull out the non-indigenous (local native) lawn grass that was trying to choke my indigenous lawn & proceeded to do an intensive planting from the clumps that were being choked. Any guesses how many tiny plants? It's like guessing the number of jellybeans in the jar. To me it felt like 1000. All I can hope is that it will form a nice thick mat.
The great thing about this lawn will be that once it is completely established, it will need no water (that's right - NO WATER), and will survive the drought, you can choose to mow or not to mow as it will not grow too tall, and the seed eating birds absolutely love it! You cannot get better than that. No dust bowl in summer & green all year around. Oh, and did I mention that it is soft? Oh, ok, I am a just a little bit passionate about the indigenous planty thing....